“Being an adult is all about life admin”
Let’s be honest being an ‘adult’ can be tough but so was being a kid in its own way! Being a functional adult requires work and effort. It doesn’t just happen. unfortunately.
Here are a few things that I think help (from personal experience but also from my experience working with clients):
- Create a sleep routine that does not involve falling asleep with a phone on your face. Rituals are important and help as cope better with day to day stress, often it matters more to have a routine than what that routine includes but there a few things that will help you sleep better. For example don’t work where you sleep.
- Have a diary. Electronic or paper, keep a log of things you have to do so you are not having to put pressure on yourself to remember it all. Also try to journal as frequently as is needed.
- 80-20 rule. You do not need to do things ‘right’ 100 percent of the time. You can (and probably will) mess up 20 percent of the time so you might as well be nicer to yourself about it.
- Take it one goal, one day, and one thing at a time.
- And of course – look after your mental health – whatever that looks like for you.